Somerset County New Jersey
The Township of Bedminster, with 8,402 residents and 27.6 square miles, is characterized by many desirable qualities. With a diversity of landscapes, parklands, residences and services, Bedminster offers an agreeable quality of life most communities cannot claim.
From Pottersville to Pluckemin, from Union Grove to Burnt Mills and from Lamington to Bedminster Village, our town presents a pleasant mix of history, natural beauty, access to amenities and excellent schools. We're also fortunate to have a well-managed municipal government and low taxes.
Bernards Township offers a wonderful quality of life that includes small town friendliness; a sense of place and community; and a rich history. There are a number of very tangible assets here, such as good schools and neighborhoods; a quaint downtown; historic hamlets, beautiful natural areas with trees, green spaces and open farmlands.
A borough with roots in the Revolutionary War era,
Bernardsville was originally a section of Bernards Township know as Vealtown. In 1840, Vealtown became Bernardsville, named after Sir Francis Bernard, Colonial governor of New Jersey from 1758 to 1760. Nestled in the northern most part of Somerset County, just 12 miles south of Morristown, New Jersey, this rustic community sits in some of the last vestiges of the Great Eastern Forest.
After the Civil War, many wealthy and prominent New Yorkers moved into the area, first as summer visitors, then as permanent residents of the Bernardsville Mountain.
The railroad line was built through Bernardsville in 1872 and played an important role in the borough’s development. Bernardsville did not become a separate borough until 1924, when it split from Bernards Township.
Bound Brook is a borough in Somerset County, in the New York metro area. Bound Brook is on the Raritan River Troops led by British Gen. George Cornwallis defeated American forces here in 1777.
The Township of Branchburg is located in Somerset County, New Jersey. The Township includes the communities of North Branch and Neshanic Station. It is bordered on the west by Hunterdon County, on the north by Bedminster and on the south by Bridgewater Township and Hillsborough Township. Branchburg covers a total area of 20.2 square miles, being eleven miles long and approximately 2 miles across at its widest point. The main water courses are the Lamington River on the north, the North Branch of the Raritan River on the east and the South Branch of the Raritan River on the east and south.
The land now known as
The thirty-three square mile area which is now the Township of
Today, as was said,
Vist the Bridgewater town website
Far Hills center was originally a religious center with a farm and small church built in 1758. Until recently Far Hills was a quiet villiage consisting mainly of farms and a few residential neighborhoods. In 1882 a railway station was constructed for easy access to New York City. This allowed city dwellers to relocate to the picturesque area and commute to Manhattan.
FranklinThe history of Franklin Township and the Raritan Valley was largely influenced by the Dutch settlers who came around 1650. They settled in this area by trading and bargaining for landPainting - Raritan Indians with the Raritan Indians.
No document exists to prove conclusively whether the Township was named for William Franklin, Governor of New Jersey from 1762 to 1776, or Benjamin Franklin. In 2000, the Township Council determined that it was desirable to official espouse a theory as to the naming of the Township. After considering the evidence set forth in Franklin Township, Somerset County, NJ: A History, William B. Brahm, Commissioned by the Franklin Township Library, 1998, Chapter 12, Municipal Government, The Case for William Franklin and The Case for Benjamin Franklin, the Township Council determined to espouse the theory that the Township was named for Benjamin Franklin.
Franklin School Report Card
During the Revolutionary War, the mountains above Green Brook Township played an important role in determining the direction of the war - and perhaps even its outcome. The mountains provided a natural strategic fortress for an occupying force - a fact that was recognized by both General Washington and General Howe. By holding the mountains, Washington prevented the British from attacking the Continental Army in the spring of 1777, and Washington was able to set the terms of any potential engagement rather than leaving the initiative with Howe. The mountains of
Hillsborough and the surrounding area were first explored by the Dutch in the middle 17th century. At that time the area was occupied by the Unami Indians who were a part of the Lenapi Tribe. Because they spoke the Algonquin language they were considered part of the Algonquin Nation.
Records of the Proprietors and Reeds map of 1685 show that large tracts of land were patented to shareholders in the Proprietorship at a very early date. Some of the earliest land transactions found in the records of Hillsborough begin around 1700 and include the names John Royce, Peter DuMont and Hendrik Beekman. Some of this land lies along what is now South Branch River Road. A short time later farms were carved out of a tract patented to Thomas Barker, whose land was along the Millstone River.
Vist the Hillsborough town website
Manville School Report Card
Vist the Millstone town website
Millstone School Report Card
Established in 1702 by Dutch and English Settlers,
Vist the Montgomery town website
The Borough of North Plainfield was settled by Dutch families before the American Revolution. Among them were the Vermeule and Cadmus families. You will find many members of these families buried both in the cemetery behind Vermeule Mansion and in the cemetery on Brook Avenue. These families were just two of the handful that received 1,200 acres apiece from the ridge of "first mountain" downward from King George of England. Some of these homes still exist--among them the Vermeule Mansion, which serves as the current-day community center.
North Peapack and Gladstone
The small town with the odd name.
Peapack is the southern village with a tiny shopping district, train station, post office and small cottages clustered around Main Street. Gladstone is the northern village with a tiny shopping district, train station, post office and larger Victorians clustered around Main Street. Two train stations? Two post offices? YES!
Raritan Town was originally carved out as a subdivision within Bridgewater Township by act of the New Jersey Legislature in 1868. After a series of bitter lawsuits between
Rocky Hill, New Jersey is a very old village. Located as its name suggests on a stone ledge, it was part of the lands belonging to the Unami, or "people down the river," tribe of the Lenni Lenape Indians.
In 1701, John Harrison was employed by the Governor and the Proprietors of East Jersey to take over title of all Indian lands in the province. In a deed obtained from Nowenock, the Indian chief, dated June 24, 1717, he is called "John Harrison of Rockie Hill." He owned many areas of land, and started the first grist mills on the Millstone River. He served as a member of the Assembly from Somerset County, 1703 and 1707.
Vist the Rocky Hill town website
The Borough of
Vist the Somerville town website
Somerville School Report Card
South Bound BrookVist the South Bound Brook website
South Bound Brook School Report Card
South Branch is an unincorporated community within Hillsborough Township, located in Somerset County, New Jersey.
The community goes back to 1750 and was also known as Branchville. It is situated on the South Branch Raritan River near its junction with the Raritan River. The Narticong Tribe of the Lenni Lenape Native Americans lived there and called it "Tucca-Ramma Hocking." It was here that the Dutch who made their way up the Raritan to bargain for land made their deal in exchange for beads, guns, blankets, powder and jugs of rum.
Called by one early author "the greenest place in New Jersey,"
The Watchung Mountains, whose natural beauty characterizes the township, came into being 125 million years ago when volcanic eruptions to the west covered the area with two thick lava flows that later were tilted upwards 20 degrees. Then, gradually, imperceptibly, during the millions of years that followed this massive shifting of the earth, water eroded away the land, exposing the jutting edges of the buried lava. These exposed basaltic edges, now much weathered, are the First and Second Mountains; between them lies a broad, fertile valley through which flows the Middle Brook.
Vist the Warren town website
The Borough of Watchung was organized on April 20, 1926 and covers an area of approximately 6.2 Square miles. Watchung was settled in the early eighteenth century and grew slowly until recent years. In 1960 the population was 3,312 and in 2000 it was 5,613.
- › Find a REALTOR®
- › Find a Local Service Professional
- › NJ School Information
- › Hunterdon County
- › Somerset County
- › Garden State MLS
- › Why use a REALTOR®
- › Real Estate Transfer Fee
- › Buyers Tips
- › Sellers Tips
- › Glossary of Real Estate Terms
- › REALTOR® Code of Ethics
- › Resolving a Complaint
- › Filing a Complaint